REVIEW: The One (The Selection #3) by Kiera Cass

The One by Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #3
Published by Harper Collin's Children's Books on 5th June 2014
Pages: 323
Source: *Received from NetGalley in exchange for
an honest review*

The highly anticipated conclusion to Kiera Cass's #1 New York Timesbestselling Selection series, The One will captivate readers who love dystopian YA fiction and fairy tales. The One is the perfect finale for fans who have followed America's whirlwind romance since it began--and a swoon-worthy read for teens who have devoured Veronica Roth's Divergent, Ally Condie's Matched, or Lauren Oliver's Delirium.

The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of Illéa, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen--and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.

Find out who America will choose in The One, the enchanting, beautifully romantic third book in the Selection series!
*This will contain spoilers*

I have been wanting to read this trilogy for a long time, so when I requested all three on NetGalley I was incredibly excited to marathon it. Then I find out, when I was accepted, that this is now a five-book series... WHAT?! This third novel, I was not a huge fan of at all. It was predictable and annoying, but I am just pleased that I can say I have read the trilogy (because the next two novels are companions about their daughter.) However, I cannot say that these covers are not beautiful. But I must say, this is a series that relates to the phrase 'Don't judge a book by it's cover'.



With the daunting threat of rebels at an all time high, the lives of those still remaining in the Selection are put in grave danger as the rebels begin killing down the castes; specifically targeting those close to the remaining girls. However, with the threats America receives from the King, she must decide whether her love for Maxon is strong enough to survive, or whether she goes for the safer option of Aspen?

America, like in the previous novel really annoyed me. And when I say really, I mean REALLY. I was so disappointed. The way she acted was what she complained about others doing, she was clingy and all she spoke about was whether Maxon still loved her or not, and then whether Aspen did, and then who she was going to choose... it went on and on; America was so indecisive. Yes, one thing I did like about America is she was compassionate towards others, she always tried to help them as much as she could, and tried to do the right thing, speaking up for what she felt was right. But otherwise she was rude and selfish.

Then we have the love interests. Usually, in a love triangle such as this, you are suppose to have a favourite, but I strongly disliked both Aspen and Maxon. Mason was selfish and annoying, there was just something that I did not like about him. And then we got an insight into how his father is, and at points in the novel I could see him in Maxon, especially at the end when he was threatening America when he was suppose to choose. But the thing is, he knew something was going on, and if he really loved her, wouldn't he have just asked. The same with America, if she really loved him, wouldn't she have just told Maxon about Aspen. However, the part I found hilarious was how quickly his opinion changed, one minute he hated her, the next he was shouting he loved her; this is one confusing relationship. This leads me on to their declaration of love, my goodness the two were way too stubborn. It seemed like from the very beginning they didn't trust each other to be truthful, and they were both waiting for one another to do it.

"Break my heart. Break it a thousand times if you like. It was only ever yours to break anyway."
The One by Kiera Cass, Ebook

And then we have Aspen, goodness he would not leave her alone, and she too. They were always trying to find each other, and similarly he was just really clingy. I mean, how did Maxon not see the relationship between America and Aspen? But the one thing that annoyed me about America was how Aspen kept trying, I am assuming, to tell her about himself and Lucy, but she kept thinking he was about to declare his love for her! Goodness she was selfish, thinking everything was centred around her. But also at these moments I assume he was with Lucy, he was still seeing America.

The plot, oh my. It was really boring. Yes we had some action, but I felt the only real action was at the very end, when the rebels horrifically open fired. It was predictable that Maxon and Aspen would both be hurt, but still alive. But I must say, the killing of Celeste did shock me. But the ending was predictable, the evil King and lovely Queen died for their country and Maxon and America live happily ever after as the new King and Queen.

Overall this novel could have been so much better and rescued the series, but it really did not. The only reason I have given it two stars is that the series is addictive, and though I hate to say it, I will probably read the next two books someday, just as a hope that their daughter may be more tolerable.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature & Follow

WAITING ON WEDNESDAY (#2)

FEATURE & FOLLOW #5