REVIEW: Fated (Soul Seekers #1) by Alyson Noel

Title: Fated
Author: Alyson Noel
Series: Soul Seekers #1
Publisher: St Martin's Griffin
Date of Release: May 22nd 2012
Pages: 352

Until now, he's existed only in her dreams -
but fate is about to bring them together.

I shove through the crowd, knocking into girls and bouncing off boys, until one in particular catches me, steadies me.
I feel so secure, so at home in his arms.
I melt against his chest-lift my gaze to meet his. Gasping when I stare into a pair of icy blue eyes banded by brilliant flecks of gold that shine like kaleidoscopes, reflecting my image thousands of times.
The boy from my dream.
The one who died in my arms.

Strange things are happening to Daire Santos. Crows mock her, glowing people stalk her, time stops without warning, and a beautiful boy with unearthly blue eyes haunts all her dreams. Fearing for her daughter’s sanity, Daire’s mother sends her to live with the grandmother she’s never met. A woman who recognizes the visions for what they truly are—the call to her destiny as a Soul Seeker—one who can navigate the worlds between the living and dead.

There on the dusty plains of Enchantment, New Mexico, Daire sets out to harness her mystical powers. But it’s when she meets Dace, the boy from her dreams, that her whole world is shaken to its core. Now Daire is forced to discover if Dace is the one guy she's meant to be with...or if he’s allied with the enemy she's destined to destroy.


I'm going to say now, I didn't really enjoy this book and sometimes I just felt as though I couldn't connect with it. The cover though is very mysterious, especially with the crows playing an important part in the cover and the story itself.

Daire has always been on the move with only her mother to call family. Her father died before she was born and her grandma was last seen at her fathers funeral. As Daire nears her sixteenth birthday, she begins to have hallucinations and soon, time starts to begin to stop. Then on her sixteenth birthday arrives and she attacks someone... Beginning her life changing transition from the normal to the supernatural.

Daire is an interesting character, at times she can be a very strong character but then in the next second she can be quite shy. She is a likeable character in ways, she sticks up for herself and gets on with it, allowing nothing to get in her way. But, I really didn't like the way she talked to her mother as at times she was very rude and abrupt. Though, I did find her relationship with Dace quite sweet, from what I saw. But the mount up to her meeting him appeared a little false and that she was just liking him because she feels they are meant-to-be.

The idea and plot of the story was very imaginative, the idea of seekers was very unique and the different areas they had to complete to become a seeker and be able to learn their own powers, much detailed imagination went into these areas.

I will be honest though, after Daire met her grandmother I found the story to proceed very slowly with too much information being thrown at once, a lot of the time I considered ignoring it. I just didn't feel as if I could connect with the book and felt that some situations would drag on a little, meaning at page 170 I could sadly proceed no further. It just did not grab my attention like I had hoped it would, meaning I became uninterested in the story very quickly. However, I feel I gave it a fair chance to proceed, but sadly it just wasn't enough.

But, it was much darker than I originally anticipated and the process for her to become a Seeker was very imaginative with great detail expressed. However, this book sadly was not my cup-of-tea, I did enjoy the first book in her last series Evermore, but sadly I didn't feel the magic in this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature & Follow

FEATURE & FOLLOW #5

WAITING ON WEDNESDAY (#3)